Ethan Evans (a long-time VP at Amazon, and the last manager I had while working there) has created a number of excellent training courses.
These courses walk through many critical areas, such as the ramp from "manager" to "executive", or how to manage up, or leadership networking. For the crazy low price of less than 30-minutes of my or Ethan's time (see the coaching sections below), I think it's well worth the purchase for anyone who'd like to grow their careers further.
I love books. I'm collecting links to some I love here.
Learning how to manage is hard. Few of us can have a formal education on the topic. I'm building a list of recommended books on each major topic. This is always a work in progress.
Delegation and Task Management
- The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey - Excellent book on delegation, and it's wonderfully short. How to delegate, how to avoid de-delegation. Very practical.
- Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World - Explains the value of being able to concentrate on completing work, and the dangers of multitasking. Extremely valuable for someone who needs to help employees achieve their results. Plus, managers tend to multitask at excessive levels.
Feedback to Employees
- Radical Candor (Be a Kick-Ass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity) - Great description of the negatives of being too nice, too harsh, etc.
Motivation and Team Building
- Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us - Wonderful explanation of some core reasons that people become motivated, or what could cause a lack of motivation. Managers need to internalize the importance of Autonomy, Mastery, and Purpose.
Moving to Management from IC
The below are not quite people management, but highly useful to those moving into management from individual contributor roles.
- The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement - Old but great summary of process improvement and achieving goals. Really makes you think about what improvements you need to see to achieve better results.
The below are related to personal growth, and content I've found useful.
- The Simple Path to Wealth - Fantastic book which summarizes a topic I spent years learning about. AKA how I could afford to write a newsletter instead of working full time.
- Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams - Very useful book which summarizes the importance of getting proper sleep. I'm convinced that many people would be more successful (in work and in school) if they simply got enough sleep each night.